Cinnamon Chocolate Torte
Serves: 8 to 10
200g good quality dark chocolate
200g unsalted butter cut into ½-inch cubes
1 ⅓ cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground clove
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C, and butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the base of the pan with baking paper, and butter the baking paper too.
2. Finely chop the chocolate and melt it gently with the butter in the microwave, stirring regularly until fully melted. Add the sugar to the chocolate-butter mixture, stirring well, and set aside to cool for a few moments. Then add the eggs one by one, stirring well after each addition. Add the cocoa, cinnamon, and cloves, and stir until incorporated.
3. Pour batter into the buttered cake pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the center of the cake looks set and the top is a bit crackly-looking and it only jiggles slightly, if at all. Let the cake cool in its pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then carefully turn the cake out of the pan onto a plate. Then invert it again, so that the crackly side is facing upward. Allow to cool completely. The cake will deflate slightly as it cools.
4. Serve in wedges at room temperature, dusted with confectioners’ sugar if you like, or topped with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla crème fraîche.
Nutrition score per serving:
316 calories, 17g fat, 38g carbs, 4g protein
Gluten-free, dairy free herb & garlic soda bread
Serves : 6
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup (white) rice flour
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb of soda
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 200ml soy milk
Preparation:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Sieve flours together with the bi carb of soda, stir through the mixed herbs and garlic then add the soy milk until fully combined.
- Gently briefly knead on a floured surface , then shape into an oval, mark top with a cross and bake in moderate oven for approx. 20 – 30 mins.
Spinach and Chicken Quinoa Patties
236.59 ml quinoa, uncooked
591.47 ml water
1 large onion
709.77 ml spinach, uncooked
4 garlic cloves (more or less according to taste)
1 chicken breast, cooked (omit for vegetarian version)
44.37 ml olive oil (roughly)
salt (to taste)
red pepper flakes (to taste)
mixed Italian herbs, dried (or fresh, to taste)
1. Rinse Quinoa thoroughly, then add rinsed quinoa and water to a small pot. Let quinoa soak for fifteen minutes and then bring water to boil. Cover pot, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
2. Peel and mince onions and garlic, but keep separated. Chop spinach.
3. Saute onions in a large pan with olive oil, when onions are translucent, add spinach and garlic. Cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
4. Chop cooked chicken into small pieces.
5. Mix quinoa, vegetable medley, and chicken in bowl.
6. Add salt, red pepper flakes, and herbs to taste, and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
7. Whisk 3 eggs together in a bowl.
8. Add eggs to seasoned quinoa mixture and mix in thoroughly.
9. Heat saute pan with medium heat, add olive oil.
10. Form a couple of spoon fulls of mixture into a 3 inch wide patty, about 3/4 of an inch thick. Patty mixture may seem loose, but should cook nicely because of the egg.
11. Place in pan and cook on both sides until brown. (I recommend cooking one patty and tasting it cooked before cooking the whole batch, add more seasoning if necessary.).
12. Serve hot. (Some serving suggestions in recipe description.