So… its my birthday today, yay! It probably seems too soon for another birthday seeing that I celebrated Brick Road Creative Studio’s birthday on the 1st of July… But this is my day and I’m all for celebrations!
I decided to make this post slightly reflective and a touch inspirational so I hope that is how it reads. It has taken me a whole year to get to this point so I’m thinking I should have at least 28 things to share with you. It has taken a while to think over the past year and make notes of the things I’ve learnt, but looking back it has been a fantastic year. Enjoy!
1. Dream big, and take action on those dreams. Fear is all internal and this year I have been aiming to be more fearless.
2. Music is a fantastic cure for life’s problems – no matter your mood there is a genre to go with it.
3. Figure out how you learn best, this will help you figure out how you can teach best. Starting my online courses has been a learning experience for sure!
4. Get out there and help others. Volunteering has become one of the most important and rewarding parts of my life.
5. Always be your true self, you never know who you are going to meet and who they know!
6. You can choose when you are going to have a bad day. Attitude is a huge part of everyday life, don’t let situations decide how you feel.
7. In addition to number 6 I will add that you also shouldn’t suppress your emotions – if you are sad you should let it out and cry. Don’t cover up your emotions they are a part of your personality.
8. Invest in yourself, learn as much as you can. After Uni it felt like *phew I’m done* when in fact I crave learning and never want to be ‘done’.
9. Always carry a book with you. I fell out of touch with reading with everything I was doing this past year, it wasn’t until a delayed appointment caught me that I realised how much I had missed it.
10. Celebrate your inner quirkiness! Be weird, be nerdy, be yourself. If you want to march across the room, or eat desert before dinner you go right ahead.
11. Learn from your mistakes and don’t be a repeat offender.
12. Bad things happen to really great people. I don’t know why, they just do. Sometime you don’t know what to do or how to help. Don’t avoid it, be there even just to hold their hand through it or with a kind message.
13. Mini dance parties are necessary. With a friend in an elevator? You just walked into the kitchen? You have to do some washing? Bring on a mini dance party.
14. Never get so caught up in being ‘busy’ that you don’t have time for laughter. Real unstoppable laughter is an awesome feeling and you always need time for that.
15. Make time for rest and holidays. I’ve been known to get sick whenever I finally stop for a holiday, everything sort of catches up with me. So making weekly times to rest is just as important as eating your veggies.
16. Staying in touch with people can be hard work, but it is worth it. Don’t stop keeping in touch, its important.
17. Sometimes the best listener is a simple piece of paper. Writing out how you feel is a great way to vent. You will learn more about yourself when you read it back too.
18. Don’t give up what you want most for what you want now. I know this, but I am still working on it. Yes I want a new camera, but I’ll have to save for that, whereas I can have this dress now… yep work in progress!
19. I love to travel, but I love being home. I do my best to appreciate whichever situation I am in and not constantly wish I were doing the opposite.
20. I am not, have not, and never will be a party girl. And that’s ok. I will always make the effort to head out to a party or gathering for the special people in my life. But give me a night in with a good book or movie any day!
21. Negative criticism of your work is often one persons opinion, don’t let it discourage you from your hard work and big dreams. This happened to me for the first time and I let it get to me, even though I had received 10 positive comments before that one.
22. Inspiration comes from everywhere, just be ready and willing to accept it and create.
23. Use less technology when catching up with friends and family. It’s easy to forget what it’s like to hang around with a bunch of people and chat. Leave your smart phone in your pocket or bag and live in the moment with others.
24. If you store SR flour in a container for a long period of time, make sure you shake it before you use it as the raising agents fall to the bottom. Which means rock hard cake.
25. Meditation works. I feel a lot happier, confident, and generally just better within myself when I meditate regularly. I guess there is a reason it has been around for such a long time!
26. Don’t let yourself get hangry (angry because you’re super hungry) its not fair to the people around you because they have to deal with your bad mood.
27. Don’t have unfair expectations of others. Yes you might offer to do something, that doesn’t mean its in someone else’s nature to do the same. Chances are though, if you ask, they will happily oblige.
28. White tea is awesome. It’s my new favourite tea, its even healthier then green tea! Which makes it more expensive, but who cares! Yum.
Now for the birthday cake!!