Can you believe we have reached the halfway point of Spring!? Time feels like it is getting away from me, but I have a plan! With the weather getting warmer and Summer on its way I’ve got a to-do list to make sure I don’t miss out on the things I really want to do this summer. So today I thought I would share a few ideas that will have you ready for summer and will have you embracing any adventure that comes your way!
1. Put together a summer reading list. There will be days that are perfect for venturing outdoors and relaxing under trees in the shade and other days that will be too hot to even step outside the door, both are ideal reading opportunities! I am going to challenge myself to read a different book every few weeks. Stay tuned for my reviews as I get through them, there may be some you’d like to add to your list!
2. Make your own iced tea. What is more refreshing then sipping iced tea outside in the summer breeze? I’m going to use some of these recipes and see which becomes my favourite.
3. Take an art class. Creating something artistic can instantly brighten up your mood. Why not try painting, writing, pottery, or sculpting? My goal is to break our the watercolour paints and create some summer landscape paintings.
4. Take a road trip. Whether you explore a new town or visit a favourite spot, getting out into the sunshine does wonders for your health. Why not pack a picnic and make a day of it.
5. Set up an outdoor area for entertaining. It’s so nice to be able to relax outdoors in the warmer weather, people just tend to gravitate to those areas in summer. Why not be prepared and set up a comfortable seating area to use when friends pop by.
6. Spend more time in nature. Go for walks, meditate, do some gardening, play sports, go swimming – these are the best things about summer, get out there and have fun!
7. Spring clean the wardrobe. I tend to rotate some of my clothes using a storage tub in my wardrobe. Generally at the end of winter most of my heavier clothes get put away, and my lighter summer items come out. Given the weather in Melbourne I always have plenty of layers and bits that get used all year round, but this is a great way to save space. I’ll often do a bit of a sort through when I change things over and anything I no longer want gets given away to charity.
8. Create a memory box. Fill it up with pictures, ticket stubs, tokens, notes you’ve written and anything else that you collect over the summer. It’s fun to revisit these little memories when winter hits.
9. Beach day. You can’t plan summer without including at least one day at the beach! You can swim, snorkel, ply frisby, surf, body surf, walk, or even just relax under an umbrella and read the day away. Don’t forget to pack plenty of water to drink, and sunscreen to prevent burning your skin.
10. Visit a farmers market. They always have fresh seasonal produce that is reasonably priced and delicious. With all the warm weather you wont mind being up and out of bed early.
11. Make your own Gelato. Having splashed out on some gelato themed tuppawear back in June I want to learn how to make my own gelato. I’ll be using this recipe as well as some advice from my Nan (the desert expert).
12. Learn something new. I’ve always wanted to learn a new language so this summer I’ll upload some training audio files to my mp3 player and listen to them on my way to and from work. But there are thousands of other skills you might like to learn, why not try learning to record and edit videos? Or better your public speaking skills? Why not learn to play an instrument? Get onto youtube and find a teacher.
13. Make some handmade paper (recycle paper). I haven’t done this in years! Each summer I say I must do it this time, and every year the time runs away from me. You can make this any time of year but in my experience summer is best as the paper dries so much faster. If you would like to give it a go there are instructions here.
14. Go to a theme park or activity centre. Sometimes you just need to let your inner kid shine through. I think I’d like to see this Fairy Park!
15. Have a long weekend away. Get out of the house and head out for a weekend. Try camping near a river, or stay at a bed and breakfast. Turn your phone off and enjoy being in the moment.
So there you have it! Plenty of ideas to help you make a list of your very own. What would you add to the list? Leave a comment below!