When you say ‘Chicken Salad’ in Australia this is the image that comes to mind:
Today we’re exploring Chicken Salad Sandwiches, or what is known as shredded or chopped chicken mixed with mayo and often includes grapes, walnuts, apples, celery, along with many other things… as well as a variety of spices –best served on a sub roll or on wheat bread.
Everyone likes chicken salad different ways: ground up and fine, large and chunky, chock full of onions, nuts, and any number of other ingredients. The great thing about this recipe is, you can use the steps and ingredients as a basis for your own unique recipe, adding and subtracting whatever you like.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves
- small handful of your preferred herbs
- Place 2 chicken breasts, garlic and herbs in a saucepan, cover with cold water
- Bring to the boil over medium-high heat
- Reduce heat to low, cover & simmer for a further 5-7 minutes
- Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes
- Remove chicken from water
- While chicken is still warm shred chicken breast with two forks.
Now we make the chicken taste AWESOME:
1 ½ cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 small onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
½ cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
8 slices bread
In medium bowl, mix all ingredients except bread. Spread mixture on 4 bread slices. Top with remaining bread.
Done! Yeah you can thank me later when you are enjoying it 😉